Sunday, July 23, 2006
Saturday, July 15, 2006
Monday, July 10, 2006
Working with Me Rules Although I didn't write these rules, I certainly think they apply to me. Thanks to Donna for expressing what I feel about myself....
* I may spend a long time seeming to do very little. Don't panic - I'm thinking. Exactly what you pay me to do.
* I spend a lot of time with earphones in. That means I'm trying to think and concentrate amongst the chatter of an office, not that I'm anti-social.
* If you give me a gantt chart all arranged in linear order, I'll nod and get to the end on time and budget, but not by the path you set.
* I spend a long time gathering information and thinking, and little time producing towards the end. Once I have nailed an idea, all else is straightforward and fast. So if you think I'm going to miss a deadline because I haven't produced much, stop worrying.
* Outputs need inputs - I have experience, but I can't design a good system out of nothing. I need to base it on something. Don't stick me in a corner and not let me research and talk to people.
* Teams are good - I have lots of experience at what I do. But so do you and the team. Let's work together to create something great. Don't make me work by myself and expect me to produce miracles.
* I'll occasionally rant and get passionate. That means I care.
* Give me challenging work, give me time to work through it and we'll get there. Don't expect me to to hard work in the same time I do easy work. That's just dumb.
* If there isn't enough work, I'd genuinely prefer to be at home. I'm not hanging around to chase dollars.
* I hate banging my head against a political brick wall. I'd prefer to be anywhere else - that's just a waste of time.
Too bad most companies as well as technological devices & software don't have the same ethics and behavior.