Pictures of the ride.
The route was, starting in Richmond, then
- West on River Road to SR 6
- SR6 west through Scottsville (still torn up), with a side trip to Schuyler, VA (home of Walton's Mountain creater Earl Hamner, Jr.)
- US 29 S to Colleen (after lunch in Lovingston).
- SR 56 west to Piney Grove, then SR 778 west/southwest to US 60.
- US 60 to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- South on the BRP to SR 130
- SR 130 west to Natural Bridge, VA
Spent the night at the hotel there (20% discount for motorcyclists, with the coupon from the hotel's page)
- Sunday north on US 11 (with a stop at Foamhenge!)
- Putz around Lexington looking for an open coffee shop (couldn't find one!) Grab some fruit at Kroger's, then stop for fuel outside of town.
- SR 39 west through Goshen Pass, with stops at the Maury River and Dan Ingall's Overlook.
- SR 39 west to US 220 north, stopping for lunch in Monterey, VA.
- US 220 north to West Virginia. Shortly after crossing the line, SR 25 east to SR 21 North to Brandywine, WV.
- US 33 east all the way back to Richmond,, with a stop on Shenandoah Mountain, fuel before the Blue Ridge, discover low oil, stop in Ruckersville looking for oil, stop in Gordonsville for a chocolate malted & a quart of 10W40 dino (mixing with my 10W50 synth, due to low oil).
Approx. 440 miles round trip, 9.5 hours in the saddle, top speed 102mph (for me, not Dave & Ray), average speed 44 mph, average fuel 39 mpg.